Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Did you know?

The kids are off from school today and I was blessed to be able to work from home.
Thanks Boss!

I've had a household routine since my kids were very small. It's called Quiet Time.
After lunch, we take a time out. They are allowed to read on their beds and nothing else. My oldest is 13 and she loves it. I've been doing this since a friend suggested it to me when I had my third child about 6 years ago. She said it would be good for me and for them.  It lasts about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

Today, I asked them what they were reading and checked out the books they chose. My middle child loves non-fiction and so she is really into Lassie, science-type books and World Record books. I remembered the Guiness Book and Ripley's Believe it or Not when I was her age, so I chose to flip through her World Record pages.

As I  read through some of the facts, I was interested to find how many times the U.S. made it on the top of the charts. I'm not sure if it's good or bad, so I will let you develop your own opinions.

Did you know that according to the Book of World Records 2009 (Scholastic):

               THE UNITED STATES TOPS THE LIST IN THESE CATEGORIES:
  • The country that watches the most T.V.-56.7 hrs. per week
  • The country with the most websites-54.64 million
  • The country with the most internet users-210.2 million (we account for 17% of the users worldwide, women are first in line, then men, then teens ages 12-17 with the avg. hours per week spent online=14
  • The most movie screens-38,852 inside of 35,000 movie theaters
  • The country that spends the most on toys-$36.5 billion
  • The country with the most roads-3,995,186 miles
  • The country with the most vehicles-238 million registered, 136.5 of them being passenger cars the rest commercial

......And one record that has nothing to do with the U.S. what-so-ever, and I wish I hadn't looked at it:

The World's Largest Spider at 11 inches..The Goliath Birdeater.. As if Goliath didn't say enough about his size they needed to give him two names. (Apparently this spider doesn't eat birds. Oh.. well, that's comforting...)

                     Don't forget to vote! You are one, but together we make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment